[page last updated 14 May 2015]
1943 Aug - War Diary :
APPENDIX A- TO WAR DIARY AUGUST 1943Ref Maps:-
591 (ANTRIM) PARA SQN R.E.
EXERCISE "TRAMP"1 inch to 1 mile Sheet 131
1 inch to 1 mile sheet 141
OBJECTS OF EXERCISE
1. To Practice:
(a) Carriage and dropping of demolition equipment in containers
(b) Use of trolleys
(c) Rapid preparation of a bridge for demolition and firing of token charges
(d) Withdrawal by forced march, after completion of demolition, to previously agreed rendezvous.
2. A British sea-borne force has landed on the Continent and has seized a bridge head SWANAGE 4699-WAREHAM 3508-WOOL 2807-WEST LULWORTH 2501. The Axis of advance of this force is North East. Commander British Force intends to secure his right flank by demolitions along line of River Stour.EXERCISE INSTRUCTIONS
3. 6 Airborne Division is arrying out these demolitions. Task allotted to No.1 Troop 591 (Antrim) Para Sqn RE is demolition of Road Bridge 393211. This troop is under command of 7 Para Unit which is providing covering force for demolition party.
4. Time of main advance from bridge head has been co-ordinated with demolitions. On completion of demolitions, covering parties and demolition party are to withdraw by forced march within bridgehead (10 miles) fighting their way back and causing as much confusion in rear of enemy as possible.
5. Troops taking partADMINISTRATION
Nos 1,2 and 3 Troops of 591 Para Sqn RE. Troops will be dropped independently and each troop will act successively as No.1 Troop of narrative.
6. Allocation of Aircraft
Demolition Equipment (Explosives)
Colour of Chute
Troops depart BULFORD
Troops arrive airfield
Begin loading containers
HURN (in Dorset)
9.D.Z. [Drop Zone]
Direction of run in North West to South East.
10. Loading of Containers
Small Arms Containers:11. Action on Dropping
Small arms.Explosives Containers:
Small haversack correctly filled.
Approx 200 lbs of "808" with necessaries, less detonators which will be carried by jumping personnel.
(a) Load explosives from comtainer to trolley12. Action on completion of demolition.
(b) Advance tactically to bridge site
(c) Put out covering force (represented by infantry) of men not required for work on demolition.
(d) Make final detailed decision on method of demolition
(e) Place charges (traffic not to be held up). Charges will not be connected for firing.
(f) Lay out cordtex firing circuit on ground adjacent to bridge. Main charges to be represented by 1 or G.C. primers. Cordtex firing circuit will then be detached to represent demolition of bridge.
Move tactically taking empty trolleys to Pt 209.
470311 (approx 9 miles). Time not to exceed 2 hours.
13. DressParachuting order
2 i/c will arrange transport as follows:-
(a) 1st Lift to Airfield
(b) 2nd Lift to Airfield
(c) 3rd Lift to Airfield
(d) Recovery Truck at Drop Zone with 2 fatigue men to recover jumping jackets, empty containers and bulk explosive from bridge site.
(e) At rendezvous Pt 209, 470311 to carry troops back to BULFORD.
Approx time of pick up
No. of Trolleys
Meals will be as follows
1st Lift No.3 Troop
2nd Lift No.1 Troop
3rd Lift No.2 Troop
Medical Officer and ambulance is being provided at Drop Zone by 224 (Para) Field Ambulance.
17. Safety Officer
OC 3 Para Sqn RE is providing a safety Officer on Drop Zone for Lifts 1 and 2. Smoke Candle will be placed at point where first man is to drop. 591 Para Sqn will provide Safety Officer for Lift 3.
Will be issued at Briefing
19. Packing of Containers
All containers will be packed. C.G. checked with weight equivalent to chute, and filled containers will be marked in accordance with Standing Orders and handed in to S.Q.M.S. store by 1800 hrs 30 Aug 43.
20. Troop Commanders of 591 Para Sqn RE
Briefing by OC at 1700 hrs 29 Aug 43. (As exercise is a simple one as far as airborne part is concerned it is not considered necessary for RAF to attend this briefing). Form G.6 will be issue to Troop Commanders at briefing.
21. NCOs and selected sappers
Under Troop Commanders arrangements on 30 Aug 43
22. Troop Commanders will carry out a full rehearsal on 30 Aug 43 to include
Loading of trolleys
Responsibility of Stick Command and No.5 Drop Zone drill
Preparation of token charges.
Dated 23 Aug 1943
Commanding 591 (Antrim) Parachute Squadron R.E.
OC No.1 Troop
3 Para Sqn RE
OC No.2 Troop
5 Para Brigade
OC No.3 Troop
GSO iii(Air) 6 Airborne Div
ALL images and content on this website are copyright - DO NOT copy or use without permission via e-mail. Contact website